Earn while you learn – The Apprenticeship Program
is a great balance of learning while you earn money working in the trade!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Complete application process
- Application Process
- Indenturing Process
- Apprenticeship Process
in person at the Carpenters main office Directions
St. Louis Carpenters Joint Apprenticeship Program (CJAP)
Nelson-Mulligan Carpenters’ Training Center
St. Louis, MO 63123
Coordinator: Ron Tierney
- Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m.
to 4:00 p.m. (except
holidays) at CJAP. Applicants must present proof of age (photo
ID) when applying.
- See if you qualify for entry into the Apprenticeship Program
with Advanced Standings!
- There is no cost to an apprentice except for the processing
fee, monthly union dues,
and purchase of hand tools (see Apprenticeship
Notice of Nondiscriminatory Policy As To Students
The Carpenters' Apprenticeship Program admits students of any race, color,
national and ethnic origin to all of the rights, privileges, programs
and activities generally accorded or made available to students at its
school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, or national
and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions
policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered
- Submit application to CJAP.
- Get a job with a signatory contractor (see
Employment) and obtain a
letter of intent from the contractor.
- Bring letter of intent to CJAP along with $35 for the processing
fee, Photo ID, and SSN card (after completing application) and the ability to produce a negative drug screen.
- Sign Apprenticeship Agreement and Union Membership.
- Get scheduled for New Apprentice course.
- Report to job site.
- Obtain required tools (see Basic Tools).
- Start job. Note: Employed apprentices are registered
with the US Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship
- Report to Carpenters' Training Center when notified (usually
about 3 months after completion of new apprenticeship course). Apprentices
report to school for one 5-day period of training (one unit), every
- Training and pay progresses as the apprentice completes "units".
(see Apprentice Pay)
- Achieve Journey level status after completing 18 units and 6,000
learning (approximately four years of apprenticeship).