- Scheduled classes are 4 hours per week, one night per week (either on
Tuesday or Thursday) from 5:15 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- The school year typically begins in early September and ends in the middle
of June. The applicant’s apprenticeship will begin with the first regularly
- Apprentices must wear work pants, safety glasses, and hard-soled work
shoes in the shop areas.
- The apprentice advances through the program by completing skill competency
tasks and accumulating on-the-job hours.
- Safety and mathematics are central to all portions of the program.
- The hands-on tasks present the main knowledge, skills, and theories of the
cabinetmaking, display, and millwork industry. These include:
- Wood joinery
- Reading shop drawings and stockbills
- Hand tool use
- Equipment operation
- Template design and use
- Each apprentice receives individual attention by skilled journey level
instructors, and progresses at his or her own pace.
St. Louis Carpenters Joint Apprenticeship Program (CJAP)
Nelson-Mulligan Carpenters’ Training Center
St. Louis, MO 63123